Avocado, Tomato & Feta Dip

WHEW!  Last week was nuts!  Sorry for the spotty posting. In-between client meetings, entertaining and working I barely had enough time to breathe and eat let alone write blog posts.

Sometimes life just gets in the way! BUT, this is a new week and I’m starting fresh and I’ve got a whole bunch of yummy recipes to share with you!

Hope you all had a great weekend, we had a great time down at the Newport Food & Wine Festival.  Eating gourmet food and drinking wine on a sunny fall day on the lawn of a mansion?? Not a bad afternoon right?  it was a great time with great people.  The absolutely GORGEOUS weather didn’t hurt either.

Anyways, on to this delicious, fresh & easy dip.  I can’t take credit for this dip, a girl Serra made it and brought it to our Tough Mudder weekend this summer.  It was the perfect blend of salsa & guacamole with an added bonus: CHEESE!  Sign me up!

When I went to my friend’s BBQ last weekend, I decided I wanted to give it a try.  I attempted to recreate the dip from memory and I have to say, it came out really good!

You can use regular tomatoes if you have them but I decided to use cherry tomatoes since they were delightfully sweet and they have less “innards” to remove.

This would be the perfect dip to bring to a football or tailgating party.  I’m sure it would be light and refreshing dip next to all the cheesy concoctions and fried everything.

You could use cilantro in this instead of parsley but I’m just not a huge cilantro fan so I usually choose to leave it out.

I know what you’re thinking. WHAT? Are you out of your mind? You like Mondays?  Well, just give me a second to explain myself.  True, I don’t love everything about Mondays.  Waking up early after 2 days of sleeping happily? Nope don’t like that.  The official end of the weekend and the beginning of 5 work days? Don’t like that either.

What I do love about Mondays is the fresh start.  It gives you a weekly starting point to change habits, make new goals and start fresh.  I’m not saying you should always wait until Monday to start eating healthy or working out again but sometimes I just need to hit a restart button and this week is certainly one of those times.  Last week was incredibly stressful for me and I had little time to workout and cook which unfortunately resulted in eating way too much crappy food.  You know it’s bad when you actually start craving vegetables.  I came home yesterday and stuffed my face with green beans and carrots.

I got a 5 mile run in yesterday and cooked a nice healthy dinner so I got it started early but I’m looking forward to a new week full of bootcamps and healthy meals!  The fridge is stocked with loads of vegetables and the almonds and sweet potatoes are waiting on the sidelines.  Let’s DO this!  Who’s with me??

Avocado, Tomato & Feta Dip

Allergy Milk
Dietary Vegetarian
Meal type Appetizer, Snack
Misc Serve Cold

• 2 hass avocados (diced)
  • 1 cup cherry tomatoes (diced)
  • 1/2 red onion (diced)
  • 3/4 cups crumbled feta cheese
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley

1. Combine all of the ingredients together in a large bowl.
2. Serve with tortilla chips.

65 Responses to Avocado, Tomato & Feta Dip

1. Its the simple recipes that make for most delicious dishes. I love avocado and tomatoes together. Something about the flavors of the two together. Nice pictures

• Mai-Lis says:

Thanks Kathy! I know, just a few good ingredients can make the most delicious dishes!

• Cola says:

I make this same dish but I add 1 tbsp olive oil, 2 tbsp garlic powder, and 1 teaspoon oregano to make it even more flavorful. I can never make enough of it for any event. It is very healthy and delicious.

2. […] wheat.  On the side we had a cucumber, tomato, avocado, parsley & feta salad (not unlike that amazing dip I posted a while […]

3. Deana Shirrell says:

4. Patty P says:

This is so good that I basically want to eat the entire bowl before putting it out. This is so good that you can make it on Tuesday and wish you had another bowl of it on Wednesday!!!

5. jacqueline says:

I’m excited to try this simple recipe. love love love avacados.

6. Karen Allard says:

This takes avocado to a whole different level of amazing! This really is so good that I like many before me, ate almost the entire thing myself!

• Mai-Lis says:

So glad you liked it Karen! I’m hosting a party this weekend, you just reminded me that I should add this to the menu! 🙂

7. […] snack. Isn’t it the law? This is one of the tastiest dips I have ever had! It was inspired by A Sunshiny Day but I had to change a few ingredients because we didn’t have them up […]

8. Mercedes Veray says:

I love this recipe. thanks for sharing

9. Lisa says:

This was so good! I made it with cilantro and used lime and cumin also…

10. Susan says:

What would be a good alternative to feta since my family doesn’t like that particular type of cheese?
    PS- this recipe looks and sounds fabulous!!

• Mai-Lis says:

Hi Susan! You could use goat cheese if they like that or try crumbled Cotija cheese, it is milder in flavor but still has the nice saltiness that feta has. Hope you enjoy!

11. JenC says:

I put a SoCal twist (a little more Latino and a little less Greek) on this, substituting cilantro for the parsley, green onions for the red and lime juice for the lemon. Tastes like glorified guacamole!

12. Carla says:

This is a wonderful dip and with the lemon juice/red wine vinegar combo, it didn’t turn brown at all. I used garden fresh tomatoes that I diced and let sit in a sieve to drain off the excess juices. It was a Big hit with my quilting club!

13. Carol Neff says:

Sounds and looks yummy. I’m making this tonight for our company Christmas party.

14. Hi!! I love this recipe, I’d like to post it on my blog! Do I have your permission to use the picture? I will definitely ping it back to this source so you can gain some viewers hopefully 🙂

15. […] A girl brought this dip to my friend’s get-together and it was the most popular dish there! We ate is as a dip with tortilla chips, but she said she’ll make it sometimes and just eat it for lunch as a salad. It’s creamy and delicious, and I guarantee if you bring this to your holiday party, it will be the first thing gone! Grab the recipe here. […]

16. […] I guarantee this will be a hit if you bring it to a party.  The dip in the middle is my Avocado Tomato Feta dip which was my #1 viewed recipe in 2013, the dip on the outside is my creamy dreamy Peanut Hummus. […]

17. Jo-Ann Cuzzetto says:

My new fave!!! Thanks for sharing. We tried it with Khashi crackers, great compliment to the dip!

18. Shannon says:

This looks amazing. I really want to try your recipe but I can’t have red wine vinegar. Do you have a suggestion for a replacement?

• Mai-Lis says:

Hi Shannon, You could also use white wine vinegar, apple cider vinegar or white balsamic if you have them. Regular balsamic would taste good, it will just alter the color a bit. Enjoy!

19. […] Chicken Fajita Dip from Chocolate Moosey // 17. BLT Dip from Endlessly Inspired // 18. Avocado, Tomato & Feta Dip from A Sunshiny Day // 19. Bacon and Onion Dip from The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen // 20. […]

20. Mariana says:

This is incredible! I just made it for the Super Bowl and my taste buds are in disbelief. Thanks for the recipe!

21. How much olive oil should I use?

22. Jessica B says:

I made this for a party last night last minute after realizing I had to bring an appetizer. It went so quick & everyone loved it. It will definitely be making this regularly!

23. Found you via Pinterest and I am making this for lunch today! Going to add it to the top of my salad. 🙂 Thanks for sharing!

24. Sandy says:

I made this yesterday to take to a neighborhood thing and it was almost gone before I got a chance to try it! It’s so good!! Just now when I was copying the recipe to send to all my neighbors who wanted the recipe, I noticed that under the picture on Pinterest it says, tomato, avocado, feta, olive oil and garlic salt dip. There isn’t any olive oil or garlic salt listed in the recipe. Was it left out? Obviously, we all thought it was great with those two things, but I just wondered. I’m making a double batch tomorrow for a family birthday dinner.

• Mai-Lis says:

Hi Sandy! So glad you liked it! I’m guessing that whoever pinned it just made it that way, I don’t think it really needs the garlic salt because the feta has a nice saltiness to it, but you could always add some garlic powder if you’d like. I’ve made it with and without olive oil, it is good either way. Enjoy!

• Sandy says:

Thanks! I got so many compliments on it yesterday that I think I’ll just keep making it the same way, without those.

25. […] 4. Avocado, Tomato & Feta Dip: A Sunshiny Day […]

26. Bellaisa says:

I’ve never used feta in a guacamole type dip before…looking forward to it! My mom is on weight watchers and she feels as though she can’t have avocado because it is too many points. I feel so bad that she misses out on great, fresh dips like this.

• Mai-Lis says:

Oh man, what a bummer, avocado is SO good for you!! Hopefully she can enjoy some when she’s done 🙂 Hope you enjoy it!

27. Lisa says:

This was the best dip I have ever had!! Delicious and addicting. I just kept eating it!! And so easy to prepare.

28. Leona says:

Great recipe! Everyone in my family loved it! We even put it on our burgers and it was sooo yummy!:)

29. Kristen Massey says:

I’ve had this a few times now for parties, and it’s always gone in MINUTES. I love it!

30. @robinsbite says:

Made this last night for a dinner party. Brought home a completely empty container! Adding it to my summer appetizer rotation.thank you!

31. june says:

Hi! I’ve made this dip a few times and it’s always been a hit. Thank you for introducing it to me! I’m leaving town this weekend for a girls trip and I’d like to make this ahead of time. Have you ever done so? Should I wait to add the cheese until right before serving?

• Mai-Lis says:

Hi June, so glad you like it, I make this one ALL the time too! If you’re going to make ahead of time, my only suggestion besides obviously refrigerating it would be to cut the avocado right before serving if possible. If you let it sit for a day or so, the avocado will turn brown. It will still taste fine but it may not be quite as pretty. If you do need to cut the avocado in advance, try placing plastic wrap right down on the top of the dip to eliminate the amount of air exposed to it which is what will brown it. Enjoy your girls trip!

32. […] but my favorite is what is known as “deconstructed”.  I found the original recipe on A Sunshiny Day. It reminded me of the way I would start making a traditional guacamole.  The difference is that […]

33. […] week I thought I would try something new and share a new recipe I found on Pinterest (pinned from A Sunshiny Day).  This recipe screams summer to me!  This dip is a new twist on your typical guacamole dip.  It […]

34. […] Avocado, Tomato and Feta Dip from A Sunshiny Day […]

35. Jolene says:

Ideas for what to scoop it up with besides chips?

• Mai-Lis says:

Hmm, great question! There are some great healthy chip alternatives now made from vegetables or beans, you could also serve with crackers, crostini or carrot sticks cut wide & flat. I also love making it as more of a salad than a dip, why not just eat with a spoon 🙂

36. Jolene says:

Ideas for scooping besides chips?

37. […] Monday: Spaghetti Squash Au Gratin, Avocado Tomato Feta Dip […]