HELLOOO! How’s it going? WELL, we’re finally settled in our new house and the craziness is starting to slow down a bit so I figured I would stop in and say hello and while I was at it, I’m going to do a quick little review on my recent experience trying Blue Apron. And then I’ll give you an update on what’s going on in our crazy busy wonderful whirlwind of a life.
A week before we moved, Tom signed us up for a trial version of Blue Apron since we didn’t have the time to be planning meals but we also didn’t want to fall into the trap of eating crappy takeout for every meal. If you’re not familiar with it, it’s a meal delivery service that sends you fresh ingredients and recipes to whip up for your weeknight meals. The overall consensus is that we love it. The ingredients have all been very fresh and the recipes innovative and refreshing but still simple and appropriate to the season.
Here are some examples of meals we’ve made…(above was my favorite; cornmeal crusted catfish with tomato cucumber salad & creamy dijon potatoes.
Caesar salad with homemade croutons & seared salmon.
Squid ink pasta topped with a lemon tomato sauce & sautéed shrimp.
Ground chicken & summer vegetable bolognese.
Seared pork chop with roasted sweet potato salad.
Lamb burgers with crispy zucchini rounds.
SO, here is what I love:
• No meal planning, I don’t have the brain power lately to be thinking up creative things to cook in the kitchen
• We still get to eat fresh homemade meals every night and I get to spend time in the kitchen which is a stress reliever for me
• Most of the meals have been very tasty and they are introducing new ideas and techniques into my repertoire
• As someone who cooks often, following a recipe actually slows me down a bit. I like to fly around the kitchen and I usually have a well laid out plan in my head but with this I have to keep referring back to the recipe page to make sure I’m using the ingredients correctly
• 90% of the ingredients are fantastic & fresh but we received one bag of spinach that was completely soggy & rotting so I had to toss it and for one of the meals we made this week, they forgot to include an ingredient in the box. Not a huge deal in the grand scheme of things but still notable.
We’re continuing to have 3 meals delivered each week until we find reasons to not to. I’m really enjoying time in my new kitchen and I love that I don’t have to spend any extra time trying to figure out what to make for dinner any more.
In other news…
Despite the stress of the move, I’ve been trying to soak in every moment of summer in this beautiful town we live in and enjoy every moment with these little boys who are growing so fast. I’m finding new ways to do things, like cook when I’m alone with two babies. They both enjoy sitting in their high chairs if I pull them over to the island, or like you see in the photo above, I wear the fussy one and put the happy one in their chair
I’ve been loving this Cooking for Baby book that my cousin gave to me when I was expecting. This morning I cooked up some apple zucchini purée and they LOVED it!
I had a lunch meeting the other day at the house so I pulled together a salad nicoise and let people help themselves. I filled a platter with arugula, roasted red peppers, blanched green beans, grilled artichokes, cucumbers, calamata olives, hardboiled eggs, yellowfin tuna & creamy dijon potatoes. It was the perfect lunch, highly recommend this if you’re having company over and want something fresh & simple.
And the house. I am head over heels in love with our new house. We have a nice little outdoor space now which we’re loving, we’re right around the corner from a great little beach where we can take Oto swimming. And the kitchen. Oh, the kitchen. I can honestly say this is my ultimate dream kitchen. We got to hand pick every element and I am over the moon with how everything turned out. I just look at it and smile every time I come downstairs in the morning. It’s fantastic for entertaining too, the layout is very open and bright and happy. I can’t wait for our kids to grow up in this house.
Hope everything is well with you! I’ll be back soon to share a fun BBQ technique with you that I worked on with our friend Blake who is a master griller/smoker/barbequer.